The only thing I know about the movie is that they use kids as gladiators to the death.   There's a sad parallel.  I'm sure you've heard of the Border Wars.  The Zetas also steal little children and raise them up to be killers in the drug war.  I imagine it's not much different in the war torn middle East.  You hear stories how they kidnap people and make their families do horrible things or they'll kill the whole family.  Well, something else they do is kidnap little kids to raise to use in the drug war.  I have no idea how much of that is true and how much is rumors.  I know one of the last times I went across the river there was a Huge Kinko's banner across the highway from the drug lords saying, "hey cops and soldiers, if you want a better job with benefits and protection for your family.. Call this phone #".  And there were armed soldiers on the bridge and on the sidewalks.  I heard that the drug gangs were shooting the soldiers in downtown.  So, it might be likely they really were stealing little children and raising them to kill and be killed.  And I'm sure they do in the middle East.  And they vets have said they did in vietnam.  The vets say in Vietnam they had to shoot children  because you'd see a toddler running to you and when it lifted its arms to be picked up a bomb would go off.  
If this post is too graphic tell me and I'll edit.  It makes me cry too.  But training children to kill children is not as purely fiction as it should be.
This is how I know about the starfish story.  My grandma told me when I told her the stories I was hearing about the drug war in Mexico.  She said something like you can't save the world, but with a heart like mine I'd like this story and she sent me the story of the starfish.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar