Originally Posted by bgbarnes
Crisc & Cricket- I do understand I just find it really hypocritical with all the violent games I see the kids playing. I also know of a lot of other conversations that I hear about on the play ground, especially the ones with older siblings that are "inappropriate" or what about the music that I hear that kids grab on to the words so quickly?

I would take issue with the teacher saying your ds couldn't read the book, but I don't have an issue with the teacher asking him not to talk about it in class. The teacher can't control what he talks about at home or on the playground, but her classroom is her classroom, and there are undoubtedly kids in his grade level who really aren't emotionally ready to hear about it. I also think saying he should be able to because video games are violent is irrelevant. Yes, video games can be very violent - but that doesn't mean all the kids in this class play violent video games. We don't let our kids, and we have known a lot of other parents who also don't let their kids play them either. I suspect my ds could have handled the subject matter of Hunger Games at that age and he was more than capable of reading books at a much higher level by then, but I still wouldn't have wanted him to read it. I know my dd10 would have been very disturbed by it and probably still would be. I can't keep them from hearing about these things out on the playground or from their friends, but I can and do respect that the teacher wasn't acting overbearingly or irresponsibly or hypocritically in asking that it not be discussed in her classroom - I suspect she was acting out of genuine caring for the more sensitive children in her class. I'm also guessing she doesn't let the kids play video games in class either wink

Please know I understand your frustration with school - it sounds like your ds needs much more challenge and is spending a lot of his day at school bored. And yes, absolutely, reach for the stars for him!

Best wishes,

polarbear