Last year, DD's school won the Blackboard award for the best elementary school in all of NYC. It is public but I think that it works against many top tier private schools, though the facility may not be so fancy as a Trinity.

But it is the effort of parents, that we raise 500K per year to pay for the Spanish, chess and a really good music program starting in K.

We got grants for a technology lab. We are constantly writing for grants, which are above the 500K the parents raise through auction, movie nights, spring fair.

I am looking at middle school and a skip and wonder about paying the 35K for private and see what is out there. I think you can provide a great education, as long as you semi-homeschool by supplementing with the online math etc.

And all outstanding turn around publics start with parent involvement. There is a school that I think will overtake DD's in a couple of years and the principal is really pushing acceleration, which 15 years ago was a really down and out school.

Getting parents involved and fundraising is not easy but you can provide great alternatives to the tuition of privates.

Ren