Originally Posted by Austin
So, to conclude, at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, what is a school? What am I trying to teach my kids? What is the end goal? I think that the answers to these questions, no matter your means, should then drive your choices. �

I've heard things like, to make a good citizen & educated population, to contribute to society, to earn more money/better retirement, to contribute to society/humanity..
Gr8 ideas..every one of them.

I would add that I'm a reverse unschooler. �I want my kids to "follow their bliss", pursue their passions. �But for life. �

Looking @ schooling options ATM. �One private gifted school, child led, robotics, chess, drama. �Gifted grown-ups as teachers. �Mentions SENG.
Benefit: �the video shows all the kids in the class eagerly participating, raising their hands with answers.
Cons: the parent reviews shows the four year olds parents are happy because it's not divided by age but by ability, but the 8-10 year olds, not so much. �It's too loosey goosey and the gifted achievers are consistantly getting bored after a certain age.

One charter school (not here, but we have close family there) has a rigorous classroom. �Some parents complain that they expect first graders to read worksheets & follow directions. �They have art, computer, orchestra, everything the other schools are cutting out. �The rigor is at an advanced pace, not MOTS. �Happy, healthy kids, right.

I'd teach the kiddos up to a solid sixth grade level of output, if I was a homeschooler, then start passing the responsibility to them to pursue an education, believing that I had ignited the fire that they will pursue an education. �That's what's in my heart anyway. �

Am seriously thinking about "the right environment". �I'm meeting a lot of the kids who are one year younger than my late birthday kid. �They're great for playing tag, chase, forts, swords... But for school?! �Zomg. �
Ah, why not? �I'm probably taking it all too seriously anyway. �

So there's a few different takes on "what's an education for.". The one school fosters nerd culture, self-esteem, an the pursuit of your own thing. �One school is a high ability magnet, for those that think "education makes kids smarter" and ability groups to speed up the pace, deepen the approach, and reduce MOTS. �And the other school is the local school and they believe parents send children to school. �Kids go to school. �That's what school's for.

Side note: the argument against the vouchers is that the involved parents in the community will bail, rather than pushing for school reform. Here's my pet peeve. Why should the involved parents have to be pushing?! Why hinder high achievers? (still po'd for being denied early entry to pre-k this year when my kid would have almost fit better).

OP, private schools are not really for the wealthy. Most private schools are for the religious and they're to cut down on bad influences. I had a single mom. I usually went to private schools. There's usually only one or two kids in each class rich enough to own a pony.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar