Originally Posted by evolve
Rich corporations and the large group of taxpayers depend on getting the most thorough development of talented people, so they should pay for it entirely, instead of the self-financed development primarily of the talent of the upper class, who will subconsciously or openly use their development to enhance the power of that class, especially since they owe their education to their class privileges rather than to their ability.

A very utopian statement, but rather disconnected from reality. In the real world, the government provides a widely varying standard of education and parents have the option of replacing or supplementing that education. That is not likely to change.

The purpose of a corporation is to use legal means to maximize the profits for its shareholders. Their purpose is not to increase employment, or to be a good community citizens except to the extent that these side effects help increase profits. And as long as corporations can get the employees they need from a worldwide talent base, they generally won't intervene in public education.

It therefore comes back to parents (who are also voters) to change the public schools, or reject the public schools and go for private schools or homeschooling. I personally believe it is in the USA's best interest to profoundly improve our public school system to the level of South Korea or Finland. But while there are pockets of excellence, I have little hope of that happening nationwide.

So motivated parents will continue to seek educational advantages that less motivated parents will not. And the affluent motivated parents will have further advantages. Again, that is reality, and not likely to change.

I am also offended by the last part of your quote "especially since they owe their education to their class privileges rather than to their ability". What comprehensive educational experience do you have to make such a profound statement? I attended what could only be considered a poor high school, a good public university on a full merit scholarship, and one of the world's finest universities for graduate school. What class privilege did I benefit from?