Little'un attends a prestigious private school (year 7) in North Liverpool - until today when we finally take him out. The same company has another school in North London.

What's the difference?

Bullying persists - and if it occurs it will be treated as much along financial as much as moral considerations. In our case when little'un was set upon by 7 boys the school makes a choice - potential loss of 1 fee paying victim against the potential loss of 7 fee paying bullies. It's as simple as that, as a lawyer who deals with education matters told me straight just yesterday.

Sure, private schools may be non-profit and they have costs, but I have come to the opinion that schools should teach business but schools should not be in business.

Your little ones may be less quirky than my son, a little less vulnerable and so the bullying issue may never arise - just think on it.

Also the finances do limit the cohort to the, how shall I say , the better off. That may not be an issue to you, and with little'uns background we weren't too bothered. We just thought the school would cater for and look after him - which it did to some extent but a good state school would have done the same.

Also be aware that the more monied, more influential or higher status the parents are the greater the child's opportunities will be. Now I know this is controversial, and some will shout foul but trust me I have seen it with my own eyes over the past 3 years that little'un has been at private school.

is there a school locally that has a reasonable cohort with good academic results, pastoral support and teaching. If so, save your money and use it to take them on good holidays to interesting places, and do other fun enriching activities - that is what I plan to do with the precious few remaining years of little'uns childhood we have left. God knows the education system of both colours have taken enough off us and out of us- as you can readily see from my many many posts on this wonderful forum over the years

Last edited by Raddy; 01/04/12 03:23 AM.