Originally Posted by sydness
I'm questioning her abilities now. She seems VERY good, probabally 1 or 2 or 3 years ahead in EVERYTHING - even social interactions, dress, and self-help.

I guess I'm wondering...she seems to have very good executive funtion! ...Maybe this good executive function makes her a few years advanced in all things...Now, in third grade, she is getting answers wrong. I can't tell if it is because she is crazy bored, or if she really does need the practice. She is not reading directions. She is adding instead of subtracting. She is not answering in complete sentences. She seems like she doesn't take very long on any problem and just writes the easy thing...right or wrong. Her penmanship has become a problem. (used to be beautiful) She frequently sovles a problem and coppies the answer to her page wrong because she can't read her answer. OR worse she does the problem in her head and makes an error.

She thinks everything is easy, and tells me it is too easy, yet gets answers wrong!

Ok - I do agree that strong EF function allows a bright child to look more 'impressive' and could mislead folks - but then, if that were the case here - why would a child who is 1-3 years ahead in the knowledge making the kind of errors your dd is making? If a child is bright and strong in EF, they wouldn't be making the kind of errors you are describing, yes?

Here are some possible 'next steps' -
1)check all the local universities and see if they are doing IQ tests are part of any studys (lots of studies need control groups)that wouldn't cost you anything.
2) Go through JHU's CTY website and sign up for the SCAT test - it's cheaper than an IQ test.
3) Have you made an appointment to talk to your child's teacher? If so, did you go up the chain to speak to the principle? If you have done both of these, it's time to request, in writing, an IQ test. Say that you are concerned that a learning disability is preventing your daughter from reading the directions and remembering which is addition and which is subtraction. If not, then make an appointment with next years teacher as soon as the school will let you, tell them what you told us about the errors you are seeing:
She is not reading directions. She is adding instead of subtracting. She is not answering in complete sentences. She seems like she doesn't take very long on any problem and just writes the easy thing...right or wrong. Her penmanship has become a problem. (used to be beautiful) She frequently sovles a problem and coppies the answer to her page wrong because she can't read her answer. OR worse she does the problem in her head and makes an error.

It is possible that next year's teacher will be wonderful. It does happen once in a while.

I wouldn't asks the teacher how to 'knock her down a peg' because if the teacher isn't an absolute angel, it's way to temping to the lower parts of human nature.

Take some time to journal about your childhood, about how people acted when you thought that you knew everything, and how you were 'knocked down a peg' for better and for worse.

Remember that a school may have a 'no skips' policy and then may quietly ignore that policy when needed. The school probably also has a motto, such as 'Develop each child to their fullest' that might over-rule the 'no skip' policy.

It might be that the school would allow you to part-time homeschool certian subjects.
4) I would call the pediatrician and try to set up an appointment to have her 'checked out' because she is 'acting strangely.' There is a chance that the pediatrician will shed some light on this, or refer you somewhere that is covered by your insurance that will shed some light.

Good luck!
For the future -
1) Consider attending the 'Beyond IQ conference in the Spring of 2012' - it's aimed for HG and PG families, but there isn't any paperwork-proof required for attendence.
2) When your daughter gets to middle school, consider sending her to MIT's Splash - it's the weekend before Thanksgiving and lots of fun. Again, no paperwork needed.
3) When your DD turns 10, sign her up for the SATs. It will give her some idea of how much more there is to learn, and it's a cheap way to document how 'outside the box' she is in her learning needs.
4) If you live south of Hadley, join Connecticut's state gifted group, and bring your daughter to their Saturday enrichment program - "Minds in Motion"
5) if you live East of Hadley, check out http://www.voyagersinc.org/wiki/bin/view/Public/WebHome
for gifted-friendly events, even if you don't end up homeschooling, there will be lots of smart moms to talk to.
I don't know the resources to the West and North - but I'll bet they exist. Problem is finding them.
6) What about homeschooling??? Have you checked around all the private schools? (even the ones who say that they don't have 'merit aid' probably would make an exception for your kid if they want her badly enough) At the very least, the private schools have very interesting things to say when they check out your child and form their own opinions about what she needs - sort of like a free evaluation.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com