Originally Posted by Wren
There is a section called Educational Advocacy. Advocacy requires that we push, sometimes hard to get what our children need. We push because we believe our children require those special attentions based on "high" scores and higher achievement on milestones. If that doesn't require some competitiveness, then I missed the boat on what it means. If we were not competitive, we would not be on this board, we would not care how the education system worked.

It is by its very nature, our need to be competitive for the resources our children need.

You see, you are competing for a spot in Hunter, but honestly what would I compete for? Does is matter if DS3 is less or more smart than your daughter? Not at all. It won't change how I will parent him or what choices I make for him.

Yes, I want to get the best possible education/situation for both of my children, but again this has nothing to do with how kids on this board do. As a matter of fact I wish them the best and the better they do the better for me because if they can get into a good position perhaps my kids can to. There is lots of to learn from the success stories. Of course I compare my kids to others but more to match them with stories. I have no intention to compete with them. What good would that be for? To make me feel better?

I don't compete with my friends either, there is no point in it. DS5 is clearly ahead of their children. I would be thrilled if their children were more like my sons because I would have somebody who really understands and better match for playdates (at least 2 of my friends have gt kids which does help). It's actually hard to be an outsider and I already worry about the homeschooling group.

DS5 can get to any of the schools around here if there is an opening and whatever schools we considered have open spots, there is no need to be competitive in that either. Plus nothing is based on scores.

Or look at Dottie or Grinity. Their sons are accelerated but did it mean they had to compete with others? If Dottie's son is advanced by another grade in math does it matter to other kids in his school? Perhaps a little bit since here you have a successful skip and hopefully better chance for another child to follow in his footsteps. Has she had to advocate to get where she is? Oh, yes. Has she had to compete for it? I don't think so.

I didn't even compete with others here to get to DYS. That's based on scores not on spots available. If somebody else's child gets in then it's a wonderful news and I am really happy for them. I hope those who didn't make it will get in eventually because lots of people could benefit from their service.

Just my two cents

Last edited by LMom; 02/17/08 08:37 AM. Reason: typo

LMom