Ok, since we are talking about "bragging", I am going to do it.

My dd got her report card yesterday. She got thirty outstandings (highest she can get) and one S+ (satisfactory plus). I was very proud of her achievements and told her so. I emphazised that she had worked very hard to get those grades and she should feel very proud of herself.

As parents, we are always so afraid to appear that we are bragging. I was proud of my daughter. Not because I think she is better than anyone else. I am happy when other people's children's achieve a goal, give a wonderful performance or win a medal/trophy. I have cheered for newphew's and nieces and we try to go to our school's plays and concerts and we are right there cheering and being happy for all these talented children.

Yet I don't feel comfortable sharing this great pride I felt when I saw my dd teacher's comments about my daughter being "sweet to the other children" or her being "a natural leader" "great scientist" "hard working" "focused" with other parents in my dd school because I am afraid they will hear "my kid is better than yours".

I am capable of rejoycing in other kids' victories and feeling bad when other kids struggle and none of it takes away from my child's victories or failures. There is a child in my dd school who is a musical genious. When we heard him play his violin in the winter concert, our hearts filled with joy. We attended the senior play a few weeks ago and we (my daughter and I) were impressed with the amount of talent found amongst children.

Anyway, I think we should have a place where "bragging" is not only ok but welcomed. We are not competing or being competitive. We want to share joy and success with other parents who "get it". So please, post about your kids great achievements. I for one will rejoyce with you.