Originally Posted by Dottie
I think I could relate to Ren's initial comment. I probably seem "competitive" in some ways, as I seek validation and reassurance?

Hmmm...I don't think I've seen a single thing that you've posted that seemed competitive, Dottie. You like numbers, but that's not the same thing as competing. That's more like information-gathering. If anything, I'd say you *downplay* the strengths of your kids. (I can say that as someone who has suffered GT denial and therefore can see it in others! smile ) Certainly you don't talk about how great your kids are and judge the kids of others to be "less worthy" or something. That's not you at all.

I'd also say that no one here rejoices when someone's child doesn't get into DYS. We mourn, because we know the parent wouldn't have filled out the lengthy application if that child didn't need the help and support just as much as our own child does. There are a couple of people I'm still hoping will retest and reapply later because I'm sure their kids are qualified! That's teamwork, supportiveness, not competition.

I guess I look down on hothousing. But I dislike hothousing precisely because it's all about parent-driven competition rather than about letting the child be him/herself.

<shrug>

Either way, I don't think you're into competitive parenting, Dottie. I just don't see it.

Kriston