Originally Posted by Mommy2myEm
It may seem that discussing IQs and test results here is competitive, but to me this is the only place to post them and discuss them. The fact that many here have much higher scores, doesn't take away from DDs intelligence or giftedness. The more I learn about testing, grade skips, acceleration etc. from others, I have a better idea how to advocate for DD.

I used to belong to other parenting boards and telling there that my DD was reading fluently by 4 didn't go over really well. It was mentioned that I must be a stage mom, or "stretching the truth" when all I wanted was to know other parents of GT children. Here I don't have to worry about being odd (at least for that reason).

I agree. I think there's a huge difference between competing--that is, trying to one-up the people around you--and just being honest and open.

I don't think my older son is the smartest of the kids discussed here. And you know what? I LOVE that! This is one of the only places I've found where he isn't the smartest, where the stuff he does isn't met with the kind of disbelief and disdain that Mommy2myEm describes, where I can talk openly.

Heck, this is just about the only place I know of where I can worry aloud that my DS3 might have an LD because he's not reading at age 3.5, and not sound like a crazy person! Who else is going to understand that?

Even on other GT boards, the stuff our kids can do is extreme. Where else can we talk about it without appearing to be engaging in competitive parenting, when that's not our intention.

You must find peers if you are to escape competitive parenting. I think that's what we have here.

Kriston