Intrinsic drive and motivation differentiates the level five from the other levels. That had always struck me as *the* major (additionally) Ruf characteristic for level 5, rather than an afterthought.

I think we all agree that nature and nurture each play a part in intelligence. Most of us probably believe that nature has a greater impact, but wouldn�t deny that nurture also plays a role. This motivation is influenced by opportunity, support and personality so it can vary greatly as a child develops. It makes sense to me.

Many of us are at this board for the very reason of seeking support and ideas to help keep our child/en interested and motivated at learning.

I understand the �grade school in two years� argument to mean if it were compacted, a level 4 or 5 could move through it in that time.

Most of us find that there are various different theories of intelligence measure which are more and less difficult to accept. For example, I find the idea of a GAI score to be somewhat controversial. It seems a bit like �rounding up� to me.

As for the Ruf levels, I think that there may be a pretty strong division between parents who �buy it� and defend the theory because their own children did meet the majority of her listed early milestones and those who question the validity because it does not meet their own children�s experience.