Originally Posted by Wren
In my case, after the emotional high of saying "I am not crazy" this is real, there was this feeling of "now what" and I did not get clear direction on where to go, or how to do it. Especially when I read that level 4 & 5 should be able to complete the elementary education curriculum in a year. I did not know what to do with that. And when I put that in the forum, the responses I got back were: "you kind of ignore that" I paraphrase. But did anyone here experience their PG kid doing the elementary curriculum in a year and have them start college at 10 or 12?

I did not get one response that said yes. In my own research, particularly looking at the Giga Society that does have level 5 people their view is that there are only 7 people in the world at that level at any one time. Or are they level 6?

Ren

Hi Ren,
I have no doubt about my son's ability to start college, at least, part time now. He's 12 and his ACT scores are higher than the average entering freshman at the nearby college. He has good study skills and is interested in a lot of things. For all practical purposes he had mastered the academic portion of elementary school by 3rd grade or so and any gaps could have been filled in quite easily. so I think Ruf is absolutely right, that kids can finish elementary early and just go right on to HS and college.

But my DS doesn't want to. So it simply isn't a goal for our family. He loves a lot of things about school. He has friends he doesn't want to separated from; he loves orchestra; he participates in extra-curricular sports; and the boy is crazy about dodge ball. He runs for student council every year and is an officer in the schools philanthropic organization. These are all valuable non-academic learning experiences and he is not suffering at all--in fact he loves his life. So we are happy not pushing him to his full potential.

The same IQ/abilities and a different personality and he'd be in college.

So, Ren, I think the issue is that even as you know that your daugher is capable of finishing formal education early, you need to also realize that there is still so much more about her that you don't know yet. I didn't know what kind of school experience my DS would have when he was a pre-schooler. You may find that she is driven to learn at an astonishing pace and blows through elementary school. But her passion may be something different, music or sports or fashion design or playing with friends, and that those take all her time and she is happy to take her time with spelling and math and social studies. You just don't know yet.

I hope this helps!