Well, I'm finally reading the Ruf book, and I was quite surprised by one comment she made. I think it was in the chapter on level 4's or level 5's. She said that a level 5 is equally high across the board and that a lot of level 4 and level 5 has to do with motivation and current circumstances, and that the levels can change over time. To me, this seemed like a strange thing to say in a scholarly book, like she was afraid to come out and take a stand without leaving some serious wiggle room. Isn't the point of having all those characteristics of levels of giftedness to give an alternative to just having hard test data? Isn't it a bit cowardly to come up with the five levels of giftedness and then to say well, it's not set in stone, your children may move from level to level depending upon their current environment and motivation? Are these really 5 levels of giftedness, or are they five levels of current knowledge and motivation? Maybe I misread it, but I found it a surprising comment. And please don't be offended by the word "cowardly," I meant it like wishy-washy, or unsure, or leaving herself an out for those who may disagree with her theory...

Last edited by questions; 02/15/08 10:06 PM.