"This is interesting" is pretty much what I think about the book. It was the first gt related book I read and as such it did a wonderful job for me. It clearly showed that there were huge difference between gt levels, but it also showed that you couldn't clearly separate the children and say "this one is level x and that's it"

I found the parents comments and the examples the best part of the book. What a relief it was to see that others had kids just like I did. As for the milestones I think you need to take it with a grain of salt. It helps to look at them and see what's considered advanced, but not much beyond that. Yeah kid who started reading at the age 2 is for sure gifted, but he may be as gifted as another one who waits till K to start reading. She also doesn't consider 2E kids. You cannot just leave them out of the picture. The more I read about gt kids the less I believe in her categorizing by milestones even though DS5 wasn't that hard to place there (some 3, mostly level 4)

When I look at my two sons, my younger one would do much better on the milestone list than my older one, but I actually think my older one is more gifted. I may be wrong on that of course.

Like somebody else said it also depends on the definition of many of the milestones. I was so glad I didn't have to fill out the DYS milestone list because I was rather struggling with what some of them really meant. By my definition DS5 started writing words before he started reading, but that would probably look rather silly on the questionary.

Some of her comments were very useful though, such as fast progression from sounding words to chapter books usually meant that the child was gifted.

Like I said nice first read about gt issues, but don't put too much weight on it.

LMom