Originally Posted by Cricket2
were given the same spiel regarding how "if I was having a house built, I'd want the house to be built the way I wanted it even if it took longer. I'd rather the builder took an extra week than finished it on time and it wasn't done right." While there do appear to be deadlines in his mind by which the assignments must be done (like the end of the quarter maybe), he feels that it benefits the students to not have those deadlines and to just work away at their best product and turn it in when it is done which is, presumably, before the deadline he has in mind (which has not been shared with the kids).

I have to comment. Has he ever worked in the real world that included having multiple projects, priorities, and resources? I can't believe he doesn't provide a due date.

His example of a builder taking an extra week? I assume he has an unlimited budget to pay this builder an extra week? Ha! The builder is only working on his project, alone? Ha! The builder didn't book any future projects because who knows when this one will be finished? Ha ha!

Is your DD expected to show her drafts?

You'll probably need to set your own due dates for the paper and just assume they are due sooner than later. Get it done and then set it aside.

The teacher's actions and words shows what he believes to be his reality. frown Would consistent, ongoing, gentle, kind prodding help sway his belief? (so as not to have him feel defensive)

I'm sorry to hear it has been a difficult start.