Originally Posted by newmom21C
That's an interesting question. I really can't answer at the elementary level but I am in academia so I can tell you the perspective from that point of view. Most professors I know have more time to prepare for their classes. If you are at a big university they might have 1-2 classes a semester and if they've been around long enough they've already taught those classes a couple of times and have all their notes prepared ahead of time. They also have a herd of grad students to correct homework/tests for them and answer students' questions.

I see this as more of a once a quarter deal, with minor maintenance weekly. I have done it and I don't think it is an overly time-consuming task (especially since elementary teachers are following district and school manadated curriculums, aren't they?). It may be somewhat time consuming to learn how to update a website, but I think that should be a required skill. I may be underestimating the time required - esp. since each teacher is covering several subject, each with it's own set of requirements and topics. But shouldn't they have teaching plans for all this already? The additional effort would be incremental. I would love to hear an elementary school teacher's perspective on this. I suspect I am missing something because obviously there are many teachers wearing two hats - parent and teacher.

Originally Posted by newmom21C
An elementary teacher would be with his/her students all day and have to do all prep at night.

I suspect people really underestimate the difficulties elementary school teachers face because of being "on" all day. It may be am 8-3 job with summers off, but they aren't doing their holiday shopping online when their boss isn't around or hopping out to a dentist appointment midday.