Originally Posted by Kvmum
But she will just flick through books if we don't. She mostly she flicks through chapter books, but doesn't read them.

My guess is that she's reading more of it than she's letting on or that she wants to talk about. My impression from my child and from what I've read other parents post on lists, is that this phase of what appears to be flipping through books is common and likely much more productive than parents think it is. Many kids like to do a lot of reading a page here or there rather than working through the book in an organized fashion.

It takes a leap of faith, but I think it is always good to start from the idea that kids are born with a drive to learn and often have some good ideas what will help them learn (even if they can't articulate those ideas). Again and again, we've seen when we keep out of learning and don't attempt to direct it learning progresses often better than if we'd been involved. Sometimes what appeared to me to be pointless time wasting turns out to have been the perfect thing to get the child to the next skill level. So, I think it is a great idea to try to dissociate from this time and give her the space to work it out in whatever way she will.