I hope I don't double-post. I thought I posted this reply before I cooked dinner, but it looks like I didn't. I hit my browser back button until I found it, so at least I didn't have to think up the whole reply again (plus I re-read it and cut out the extra verbiage for to make it more concise:)
I can kind of understand that, especially a decade ago. The only thing to do with a gifted kid back then was fast-forward her completely past her childhood, like that 11 yr. old boy in revenge of the nerds. But the long-term outcome of that would be too novel, so therefore viewed as a huge gamble.
I think the Internet is what's opening the doors for better education of the gifted kids these days. Parents are talking for the first time in history, parents are learning about the options and seeing real-life stories of what's working and in what cases.

A thought on your project- (can't really comment on your cirriculum) but I disagree that there's any ethical dilemma with diverting NASA funds "covertly" to a highschool. It wouldn't be taken out of NASA's education fund though, that's more for public awareness programs, especially aimed at minorities and the underpriviledged (according to their website). It would be more like certain jobs I've heard stories about that will help pay for job-related college for current and future employees. This would just be NASA starting them younger to make sure they get pick of the litter. But, if that's the case, you ought to be bouncing ideas off a NASA human resources person to refine your cirriculum because the school would be less interested in offering random classes that might interest gifted students and more geared towards "vocational education" if I can use such a term for a lofty career. Then it wouldn't really be "covertly" or re-directing funds, it would go in the same part of a business report that other companies pay for college/continuing education for their employees and future employees.
I know, I muddling up two topics here. But I'm here as a parent for one conversation and had an idea for your project on the other topic

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar