The following excerpt is from the University of Oregon Course Catalog regarding a major in biology:
http://uocatalog.uoregon.edu/liberalarts/biology

Lower-Division Biology Sequences.

Students planning to major in biology or a related discipline may take either of the 200-level biology sequences: BI 211�214 or BI 251�253. Students should consult the department website or visit the advising center for up-to-date information about the sequences and for advice on which sequence is best for them.

To enter the general biology sequence, a student must have completed at least one term of college-level chemistry or the equivalent (Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate examination credit). The course sequence is targeted toward students with an interest in whole-organism biology. For some science majors, three terms of general biology suffice. For biology majors, General Biology IV: Biochemistry and Genetics (BI 214) is required.

The three-term foundations sequence requires completion of a year of general chemistry and concurrent enrollment in or completion of the first term of organic chemistry. It is for students with an interest in processes and mechanisms at the cellular and molecular level. Students contemplating medical school or an emphasis in molecular genetics or biochemistry are advised to take this sequence. Because the sequence assumes familiarity with chemical concepts, most students should begin it fall term of the sophomore year, after completing the year of general chemistry with laboratories that is required of biology majors.

A NAPS graduate would be able to begin the three-term foundations sequence in biology fall term of the freshman year � fully one year ahead of what is possible for other students. As stated in the excerpt: "Students contemplating medical school or an emphasis in molecular genetics or biochemistry are advised to take this sequence."

Furthermore, another excerpt from the University of Oregon Course Catalog regarding a major in biology follows. I have noted "NAPS DONE" by those required courses which would have already been completed by a NAPS graduate who was a chemistry major while enrolled in NAPS.

Major Requirements

A major in biology or marine biology leads to a bachelor of science (B.S.) or to a bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree. The B.A. requires completion of the foreign-language requirement. Twenty-four credits of biology that are applied to the major must be taken at the University of Oregon (which includes the main campus, the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology in Charleston, the central Oregon campus in Bend, and university-approved overseas and exchange programs). Majors must either meet the major requirements in effect at the time they are accepted as majors or complete subsequent major requirements. Specific courses follow.

NAPS DONE >> 1. General Chemistry (CH 221, 222, 223) or Honors General Chemistry (CH 224H, 225H, 226H)

NAPS DONE >> 2. General Chemistry Laboratory (CH 227, 228, 229) or Advanced General Chemistry Laboratory (CH 237, 238, 239)

NAPS DONE >> 3. Mathematics, to include Calculus for the Biological Sciences I,II (MATH 246, 247) or Calculus I,II (MATH 251, 252) or equivalent; a course in statistics is recommended

NAPS DONE >> 4. General Physics (PHYS 201, 202, 203) or Foundations of Physics I (PHYS 251, 252, 253)

5. One of the introductory sequences: the four-term general biology sequence (BI 211�214) or the three-term foundations sequence (BI 251�253)

NAPS DONE >> 6. Organic chemistry sequence

NAPS DONE >> a. For the biology major, a minimum of two organic chemistry courses are required: Organic Chemistry I (CH 331) and either Organic Chemistry II (CH 335) (preferred) or Organic Chemistry III (CH 336)

NAPS DONE >> b. For students interested in graduate programs in medicine, dentistry, biomedicine, or allied health, three organic chemistry courses and two laboratories are required (CH 331, 335, 336, 337, 338).

c. Since many medical schools require upper-division genetics and/or biochemistry, Molecular Genetics (BI 320), Physiological Biochemistry (CH 360), or both are suggested. Students are urged to contact specific institutions to confirm admission requirements

http://nasa-academy-of-the-physical...11/first-model-university-of-oregon.html

JUNIOR YEAR: Chemistry Major
Fall Term Winter Term Spring Term
NAPS: Advanced Placement English Literature
NAPS: Advanced Placement Economics
Fall: Microeconomics
Winter: Macroeconomics
Spring: Game Theory
NAPS: Mathematics
UO: Organic Chemistry
Fall: I: CH 331 (4 credits)
Winter: II: CH 335 (4 credits)
Spring: III: CH 336 (4 credits)
Fall: Organic Chem Laboratory: CH 337 (3 credits)
Winter: Organic Chem Laboratory: CH 338 (3 credits)
Spring: Organic Analysis: CH 339 (4 credits)

SENIOR YEAR
Fall Term Winter Term Spring Term
UO: Calculus
Fall: I: MATH 251 (4 credits)
Winter: II: MATH 252 (4 credits)
Spring: III: MATH 253 (4 credits)
UO: Foundations of Physics I
Fall: PHYS 251 (4 credits)
Winter: PHYS 252 (4 credits)
Spring: PHYS 253 (4 credits)
NAPS: Colloquy: Morality, Ethics & Society: Science & Technology in the 21st Century
Fall: U.S. Constitution Amendment Proposal
Winter: World Treaty Proposal
Spring: Philosophy of Science and Technology Definition Statement

It seems to me that I have done a great big favor for those who want to major in biology at the university level in how I have designed the NAPS curriculum.

Steven A. Sylwester