Originally Posted by StevenASylwester
the academic needs of Talented and Gifted (TAG) students who excel in mathematics and the sciences are generally not acknowledged by U.S. taxpayers, because the general sentiment is that �smart� kids can get by in our public schools without any additional funding for merit-based programs that might result in educational advantages for the top-end few

Sorry for not letting this thread die - it came up when I was on vacation, and I didn't see it until now.

There are only 18 states that don't already have at least one (and in many cases, multiple) public, highly selective, math and science high schools. They have PhD instructors, provide college-level instruction, and have a range of courses that far exceeds what you're proprosing.

The Oklahoma program, for instance, admits 70-80 students per year for the entire state, so is more-selective than you propose. It's a boarding school, and you're proposing a day school. But because of the way the 4-year universities are distributed in the state, even were there 3 of them, a significant portion of the potential students couldn't attend without a boarding option.

I don't see your proposal as filling an unmet need. Sorry.