Originally Posted by StevenASylwester
I am talking University Calculus I, II, III; University Calculus-based Foundations of Physics I and II; University Organic Chemistry and Laboratory; mathematics as high as University Elementary Linear Algebra, which is beyond University Several-Variable Calculus I and II, and you are talking "too slow" and "too shallow." Are we on the same planet?

Steven A. Sylwester

I don't think you know much about math or science.

If these kids are that smart, then those math classes are not appropriate for more mathematically mature kids. I would expect to see classes on Analysis or Abstract Algebra as the first-year course followed by Statistics, then seminars at a graduate level on various topics. Things like Calculus and Linear Algebra could be covered in a Numeric Methods class that also introduces programming in C with the focus of the class being not applied math, but a topic in physical sciences. In fact, a seminar approach after 6 semesters of the basics would be best.

Most PG kids could start such a program as I outlined above when they are 14 or earlier. And after such a program they would more than likely enter industry or go into a Grad program rather than enter a normal college.

I taught myself to program when I was 12 and was working on chemical control software when by the time I was 16.

Last edited by Austin; 06/23/10 08:55 PM.