We're making this change for next year, so I don't speak from actual experience...BUT, one thing that we've noticed (in DSs case) is that it's not any more social at school than it is after school here at home or in his extracurricular activity. Once homework is done, he's out the door playing and socializing with the neighborhood kids, (almost all go to the same school). Some he sees at school, some he doesn't.

According to him, he doesn't socialize all that much at school. He's got to be quiet during class most of the time unless it's a discussion or groupwork (which to me isn't really 'social' time). I can tell the days he was chatty at lunch, because most of his lunch is still in his lunchbox. Of course, there's recess, but that's what...15-20 minutes? When considering the social aspect in our decision, we looked at how much time was realistically spent socializing at school compared to what he gets at home and would also get with different activities once he's homeschooled. Oh, and his extracurricular activity mirrors a class - he's got a 'teacher' and other 'students', so he's getting the experience of a group setting and will continue to learn from that environment, as well. Just my thoughts. Good luck in your decision.