Hi. I'm really hoping to get some input from the homeschoolers out there.

Background: Our dd8 is in public school now (4th grade after a skip and she's a fall birthday). Her situation is ok for this year and is a vast improvement over last year's, but next year isn't looking good. Her district has implemented a new policy for next year where all children must remain in their main school of instruction (I think it's budget reasons, but they won't be specific about it). So she will no longer get bused to the MS for math. And the great teacher she has this year isn't looping and our choices for next year do not reassure me. The district doesn't do any 'gifted education' but instead has 'enrichment' which four years ago sounded great but we have found it really isn't implemented well and doesn't provide any additional challenge at our dd's level (or even close to her level).

Both my husband and I are so frustrated with the situation and we agree that we could provide a better academic education for her at home, but my husband is very concerned about socialization. She has a lot of friends in school, she is very social, and her favorite part of school is getting to see her friends. He feels that taking her away from that wouldn't be good for her. He thinks she should be learning in a group setting. I feel like I could cover the academics in much less time, freeing up afternoons to do activities like sports, play-dates, Girl Scouts, and fun programs at our local Y.

How easy/difficult is it as homeschooling parents to provide social opportunities to your children? What types of activities are they involved in? If your child was previously in school but is now homeschooled, how much did he/she miss the social interactions of school, and was it short lived or do they still pine for that constant, daily interaction with peers?

I really appreciate any advice you can give. We don't know anyone personally who has made the decision to homeschool and we feel like we are in uncharted waters. We're struggling with whether this would be the best move for daughter. Thanks for reading!