It might depend on your location, but I feel like we have TOO many social opportunities rather than too few. I would start googling for "homeschool MY TOWN STATE" and see what you come up with? Do you know anyone else who is homeschooling in your area that could be a resource? It seems like there is a great divide here between the secular and religious homeschooling groups/communities around these parts and that can make a difference too depending on what groups you would prefer. I literally can barely get through my e-mail daily with all the stuff we have to choose from. Many weeks I feel like we forgo curriculum for social and hands on learning.

My child was in PS for 2 years (K, 1st) and didn't miss anything socially (and he is very social). He does lots of activities - piano, unicycle, soccer, taking drama this spring, doing 2-3 camps this summer, HS swimming lessons, and we live in a neighborhood with kids he loves. It's been great for us! We took a 3 week road trip this winter and a 2 week one after Labor day last fall. My husband was definitely a skeptic, now he's a huge fan and advocate of homeschooling. And it started as a 1 year experiment, if that might help you wrap your minds around it.