Kriston-

I really feel for you and not being free to write your book. That must be very frustrating. Are you open to allowing an hour of educational tv or computer time so you can get something done while he is in your care?

My homeschool large group functions (board game day, for instance) do not permit drop off, as that would be a logistical nightmare for the few parents forced to endure it! But it's quite acceptable to ask another parent to give us a break and take an extra child or two there, as long as they agree to be responsible for them.

The more academic groups that usually involve only a handful of kids are more usually the drop off variety here. So I can drop my older two at a homeschool science class and then either return home or spend a couple hours enjoying the morning with a friend who has an older child in the class and two younger kids at home. I'm a sucker for a hot cup of tea and conversation, so I tend to chose option B!

Most of the people in our group do "family" playdates until they get to know the parents and children a bit. Then we progress to drop offs, though playdates can often be as much fun for the parents as for the children! So it is possible that you guys are still in "newbie" mode or that others consider your child too young to remain at a playdate without you.

Hang in there, and I'm sure that your options will increase as time goes on. You're wise to think of it in terms of a passing phase.

take care-