Originally Posted by Lorel
Kriston-

Do you use the babysitter to get work done, or just for when you go out of the house?

Well, both, sort of. I have a college student who comes in as often as I can get her. Originally it was supposed to be 3 hours or so virtually every weekday morning (when I do my best wrting) so that I could have time to write. Since we started home schooling, I use her more for a mental health break than anything else. Sometimes I even just go in a room by myself and read or play a computer game. I am definitely trying to put my sanity first!

Unfortunately, the every-morning thing hasn't worked this year at all. The sitter's class schedule has been bad--I only had her 7 hours per week last quarter, and we're down to about 4-5 hours per week in the quarter that starts next Monday, with only 2 of those hours on a morning. So...when combined with the greater demands of HSing, time to myself is getting significantly more precious.

My DH does his best to support me, but he works long hours and needs time alone, too. We do our best to be sensitive to one another and balance our needs, but two introverts can only do so much.

Mostly I've just let go any goals I had for the book for this year. I do get an occasional Sat. to myself to write, but it's slow going when it's only once a week.

I don't mean to sound whiny about it. As I said, I knew what I was getting into when we chose to HS. I honestly don't think most people would have the problem that I'm having. I'm just unusually desperate for time to myself. Then, too, it will improve as the kids get older.

Actually, I think of this time as I thought of the time when my kids were babies and I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted: this too shall pass. I do what I can to keep going and I know it will get better eventually.

<shrug>

Overall, HSing really has been a great thing for our family. I know it doesn't sound like it from this thread, but it really has! And HSing was the only choice to save the school year for DS6. This is a temporary blip, not a generalized problem with HSing, I don't think.

P.S. Lorel, our HS group doesn't do drop-off events for kids the age of my kids. If they are going to an activity, I have to be there. Even playdates aren't drop-offs around here. It's a shame; that would really help me!

Kriston