Originally Posted by BWBShari
Welcome to our world!! Isn't it nice that this forum exists for people with kids like ours? We've all heard it, over and over. After a while you'll get to where you're just immune. Just keep on doing what your kids need you to do and let the rest of the world take care of itself.

You're right! Although my children are still young, I have actually known they were "different" for quite sometime - years, in fact. I recall reading milestone charts and thinking, "This can't be right" and our Parents as Teachers liason coming to my house one day with information for children 3 years ahead of mine in age. She said, "I can't say anthing 'officially' and we'll go over where your daughter should be based on her age and then I'll give you the other papers based on where I feel she, actually, *is*." That was just one of the few comments some starting before she was a year old that had me scratching my head. Too bad not all the comments could be positive or informative.

I have gotten better about building my immunity; sometimes, though, I fall short. I am better at filtering out the negative comments, sill imperfect. It seems that the negative are more prevelant than the positive. Although, that could simply be my perception based on having born the brunt of some really cruel comments re: my DD's abilities.

I realize that sometimes I go backward in my journey forward, my "immunity" is tested. In the end, I have to take solace that these aren't setbacks, they are opportunities to strengthen my immunity and in retrospect I continue to make progress despite sometime having to retrace steps that I feel that I have already taken. Two steps forward, one back. I have to remember that I have still netted one step!

Happy parenting and thanks for your kind words!
MM