I am with Quantum. DD 9 is one of the older in her grade and I have just seen a blossoming interest in fashion, make-up etc this year. I worked at a middle school for a long time and middle school is a challenging time for most girls. However, the girls that are interested in make-up and fashion are also interested in a lot of other things, sports, dance, music etc.. I think the biggest problem is that it is possible that your daughter may become interested in those things at least to a small extent later, however, she is just not ready to hang with those girls socially right now. 6th graders with fall birthdays will be almost 13 by the end of the school year, your daughter is just ten. They probably look at her like a little girl and not necessarily a peer, at least socially. There is such a huge gap between ten and twelve, especially in a child's ability to understand social cues. This will most likely be easier later but it is one of the main issues with acceleration. I hope that your DD finds someone to eat with soon and school gets easier!