Originally Posted by LAF
Girls in middle school can be really really mean. Is there any way you can talk to the teacher and see if there isn't another nice girl who might help her assimilate back in? As much as I think there are a lot of mean girls, there are probably some nice (maybe shy) girls who might want more friends too. Often just having one person to hang out with can change the dynamic. Also, how are her social skills? The fact that she says that they find her "annoying" sounds like she is missing some cues somewhere….

With the one friend she doesn't see often, is there a way to see her more often until she has more friends at school?
I agree about the "mean girl" situation. I think that's only part of it. She is a rather snarky kid so that's not helping the situation. She's an artist through and through, and even the thousands of cartoons she creates are very sarcastic. Inside she's tender and kind, but she really does a good job hiding that. On top of that, she just is not into the typical table talk. She's all Minecraft and creating new decorative keyboards that she shares online. She says the girls at school are talking about hairstyles. I believe that - I see my other 6th grader (DD's big sister) spending way more time getting "beautified" in the bathroom every morning. DD10 just isn't there yet (if ever). Anyway, yes, social cues issues.

I am pulling her together with the other girl as often as possible. Once a month slumber party and Weds. afternoons. DD stated if it weren't for this girl, she would not have any friends. I also plan to email the AIG teacher who is the sweetest person on the planet. I am crossing my fingers.