Mine too! My DD10 has been griping all year about how so many of the girls in the class are all about crushes, fashion, etc. No one really shares her same interests. She has dyed a chunk of hair blue, but otherwise just isn't that interested.

To her credit, rather than just be on the sidelines, she's decided to read up on fashion and crushes so she has something to talk to them about (just like I used to read the sports section mostly for work chit-chat purposes, actually). She'd rather do Minecraft contests (the ones where you build a specified project, like a tent, and then everyone goes around rating each other's tents) but recognizes that that doesn't buy her social currency at lunch.

We are ordering the American Girl Smart Girl's Guides on point, and I may show her some sophisticated breakdowns of fashion (i.e., approaching it as art/costuming in a historical and cultural context, vs. "Who Wore It Best?!" superficial tabloid commentary). Mentioning in case it's a helpful tactic to any other girls stuck without a non-fashion-y cohort.

I'll ask mine if she'd be interested in email/pen-pals. Maybe they can play Minecraft together sometime! smile