Originally Posted by from FIRE press release
...Greg Lukianoff describes a perfect storm of highly-tuned cultural sensitivity, bureaucratic bloat, and fear of litigation that has created a stultifying atmosphere on campuses nationwide where unpopular ideas and offensive language are policed to an absurd extent.”...

Sorry, I can't see anything wrong with the quote above, or with his editorial in general. I also thought that his wife's email was balanced, well-written, and carefully considered. If, during that video, he was aware that people would see him defending free expression in front of a mob... well, great. I don't think that defending free expression is only okay when you're certain that no one is recording you on his smartphone.

His editorial mentioned Harvard's reaction a satirical flyer distributed at the college. The satire in question was apparently aimed at what its authors saw as abusive practices at the university. The university's official position deplored its use of "inappropriate language," with RAs being instructed to find out who wrote it. Sounds to me like the university was trying to intimidate the writers.

Interesting. Satire and intimidation...kind of reminds me of Charlie Hebdo. They're satirical and offensive, too. Maybe we should shut them down for inappropriate use of offensive language. Hmm. Or maybe we (and especially college students) should accept that no one has a right to not be offended. This is a basic part of what an education should impart to its students.

Last edited by Val; 11/16/15 06:00 PM. Reason: Correction; flyer