Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
No, I refer to his armchair diagnosis of mass psychogenic illness, because apparently in addition to his other credentials, he's picked up degrees in both pediatric immunology (and outrage) on the side as well. Well, maybe they were honorary degrees. Or independent study or something. wink

I have no opinion about his wife one way or the other, but there is such a thing as being insensitive to the point of creating a hostile learning environment, surely.

Something that he wrote 7 years ago is irrelevant to what happened at Yale last week. He was calm in spite of being surrounded by an angry mob. He mentioned creating an "intellectual space" at Yale; he was cut off by a pugnacious pseudo-oppressed child of privilege who told him that his job was not about intellectual spaces, but rather to create a home for us! He told the students that while he disagreed with what they were saying, he supported their right to say it completely, that freedom of expression is a cornerstone of our democracy, and that people who disagree with the students also have a right to speak. They shouted him down.

Who was creating the hostile environment? The calm professor who was calmly trying to discuss basic principles of American constitutional law, or the mob?

The dominance of PC ideology started when I was in college in the mid/late 80s. It was appalling then, and it's far worse now. My eldest will be going to college soon, and I wonder about spending a king's ransom to send him to places where dressing up like a mariachi band is considered to be racist, where administrators kowtow to spoiled children throwing tantrums, and where dissent from PC groupthink is increasingly not tolerated in the name of "sensitivity."

Now I have to write this part so that I won't get e-lynched: I'm not talking about very real problems with racism in this country. I've spent some time in the deep south, and am appalled at the ubiquitous casual racism I see there. And I know it happens all over this country. I'm not talking about that here, nor the very real need to protest it. Okay?

Last edited by Val; 11/16/15 11:15 AM.