Indigo, the other women were concerned that her honest criticisms, unfavorable feelings about the book and her strong dislike would offend people... They thought she should have been more PC because she may offend the people who liked the book or person who choose the book. She also got into hot water and called out publicly for sending the group an email that there was a community Easter egg hunt. She was literally scolded because not everyone is christian and such info was offensive. I notice it in school too. My son has been discouraged more than once from critiquing a book or a movie (even a food) because it may offend others who like whatever he is critiquing. And I do thonk the article is referring to such situations in college. Instead of a discussion and exploration of the different viewpoints and feelings ensuing , people become very uncomfortable and discourage honest critical discussion or discussion of unpleasant/uncomfortable so as not to offend or make those who feel differently uncomfortable. And that's what I notice about this upper middle class WASP culture. "We are not unpleasant here... We do not discuss any thing that will make anyone uncomfortable... We make everything smooth and nice." My point is that it is not because we protect our children ... It during even have much to do with that... My point is it is a prevailing attitude/culture of "we do not angry, we do not have strong feelings or have unpleasant discussions - we are NICE ." To me it's a culture.

Last edited by Irena; 08/13/15 07:22 PM.