Originally Posted by mithawk
My daughter spends an average of 3-4 hours per day on homework and studying.

Personally, I would consider that excessive if she's not reading beyond the curriculum out of interest, and unsustainable in university when her weekly readings will be in the hundreds of pages and she has multiple assignments and tests per week.

In my final year of the IB diploma, a day of 6 classes yielded about 2 hours of total work in addition to class. I finished most of my work, if not all, in class and my spare period. I finished whatever didn't get taken care of at school on Sunday evenings, and that gave me all weekday evenings and at least 3/4 of weekends free to socialize.

I specifically remember the only time I pulled a late night-- I was up until midnight writing the extended essay I had put off until the last minute in the final semester of grade 12.

The edge your daughter will have over someone like me is the discipline and habit of planning a work stream. That's something I never did until university and, even then, not as much as I ought to have done. In grad school, I was known to study for exams starting the morning the test. Old habits die hard.

What is to give light must endure burning.