I think there's one type being missed here, which is the very small private school that really does manage to be different. If I may quote from Lori Pickert's Project-Based Homeschooling:
I started by opening a private school -- my own idealized school with art studios for each classroom and a curriculum based on long-term child-led projects. It was lovely. It was unsustainable. I believe it was John Holt who pointed out that most wonderful schools are built around one strong personality and when that personality leaves, the school tends to fall apart.

This more or less describes the school we recently left. The co-founders are nearing retirement age, and I believe the school is nearing the end of its 20 year run as a hidden gem in our community. Precisely because they are so small, I never heard of them by word-of-mouth.

MsFriz, your school sounds so similiar, you had me wondering which parent from our school you were! (Until I looked back at your old posts and found some details that prove it's not the same school.) laugh