I can really feel your frustration and empathise totally. I would have been just like you, hanging by the front door for DH so I could download. I might not have waited and fired him off an email, he is hard to reach by phone. Actually writing down your thoughts can be really useful.

Asking why do we all think this teacher's response is so inappropriate, is a good way to start organising your thoughts

You clearly have a child with needs that need to be addressed in an urgent way and the teacher is essentially stonewalling you. That says so many things which could include I am not interested, I am too lazy, I don't understand, I don't agree. None of those possibilities is conducive to a good working relationship which you need to best progress your daughter's education.

This can't wait weeks and it can't be appropriately addressed in a a 15 minute meeting.

There definitely needs to be immediate further communication. The principal sounded on board. The options I would pursue include:

A return email to the teaching firmly stating that this can not wait nor be best addressed in a 15 minute meeting.

Including an outline of steps that need to begun to address your daughter's needs immediately and which you must discuss in person to ensure they are fully understood and how best to integrate those measures at both school and home.

Copying in the principal or forwarding the exchange to the principal and asking for their advice as to how you can more forward with meeting your daughter's needs if the teacher is unwilling to meet when needed.

I certainly would not wait, apart from the fact that your daughter needs intervention ASAP, schools move slowly and you don't want the momentum to be lost. Before you know it the date for the parent teacher conference will arrive and 15 mins is all you will get.

While I quite like MichelleC's approach, nothing will happen with this teacher unless she buys into her role in the process. The principal will hopefully be of assistance there. If you can't get that then you need to consider all your options.

Last edited by ndw; 10/21/14 10:26 PM.