I had sensed that DD9's teacher was not the warm caring kind of teacher we have had the last 2 years. DH and I met with her a couple of weeks ago to explain that DD had been diagnosed with ADHD, and we wanted to support the teacher as she worked with DD. The teacher did not appear to be concerned when we stated that DD was not happy at school. This is the teacher who stated that DD just need a therapist. Yesterday afternoon at the preliminary meeting for a 504 accommodation for DD's ADHD (inattentive type)the teacher stated that she would have our daughter nicely fixed up and organized soon. I stated that DD would need both the school, our private psychologist and us parents to really help her to gain the tools for better executive functioning. I added that in the clinic I worked last year I saw students who still needed assistance in middle school and beyond for their ADHD. It doesn't go away. I think she looked a bit peeved by that. Darn. I didn't mean to do that. The principal asked for specific details about accommodations for DD from our psychologist and even suggested that the psych. use specific phrases in her report so we would be sure to get the 504. She was very helpful. When I turned to the teacher to ask her if we could have another meeting with her she said that she would be glad to see us next month at the parent/teacher conferences. I asked if I could see her earlier. Our psych. has recommended that we work with this teacher to provide "more enrichment, more challenge" to DD until, fingers crossed, the school agrees to accelerate her. I even jokingly agreed to buy her dinner and stated that as my mom is a teacher I know just how busy they are!! She said to email her some dates.
Alright. Today. I'm trying to be calm. The psychologist created this fantastic letter for the teacher and explained with all the correct terminology that DD needs accommodations now, and my husband and I would be willing to purchase online classes, volunteer in class, provide materials, you name it for DD and any other child who could use them. It was a powerful letter. She even used the school's test scores (and other testing) to prove her point. I was to give it to the teacher so that this teacher and I could work together to help DD. I just received an email from this teacher that she is too busy to meet with us, and we will just have to wait until November's parent/teacher conference to meet with her. We get 15 minutes.
I am dumbfounded. Appalled. I have never ever had such a teacher at this school. I have had the best relationships with the past 2 teachers. They knew that DD needed extra, even if they didn't always have lots of time to provide a little extra. I am just sick. I don't even want to send DD to school tomorrow. I am waiting for DH to get home so I can get some support. Poor guy. I will be waiting for him at the front door.

What does one do when a teacher won't even meet with the parent?