Originally Posted by ABQMom
Originally Posted by 22B
What do you think is the teachers' perspective here?

I don't need to guess; they've been very clear about their perspective. I think they're under the impression because my son doesn't have an appropriate filter that it is ok to not have one when addressing me.

ABQMom, I am just beyond astounded at some of the things that have been said directly to you. Even if they were true, they aren't comments that a professional who is working with the public should *ever* make to *anyone*... and they certainly seem to indicate a total lack of caring to understand on the part of the teachers who made them.

this was the worst year ever when it came to appropriate accommodations, placement, or teachers who didn't resent that he was in gifted and still got his accommodations. That was the thing that was the worst - somehow thinking that a child shouldn't be allowed to be in a gifted classroom with appropriate content until they'd "gotten over" their learning disabilities which required acommodations.

This has a been a huge brick wall for us on more than one occasion to - to be honest I think part of the problem is simply that 2e kids are "rare" enough that teachers aren't familiar with them... and our schools haven't done a good job yet of spreading awareness. I think it's going to be easier as time goes by for the kids who are in the ranks behind our kids, thanks to the advocacy we've done. Which doesn't make it fair or any easier to be the parent who's having to fight constantly *now* to get FAPE for their 2e student. I think that if you have it in you, though, it's important to address these comments once school is out and you're no longer a parent to a student attending the school. Someone in the district has to know about it - you don't have to be accusatory about it, but just matter-of-factly let the district know that the comments etc happened. If you have ideas about what would have been more appropriate, you can always include that as a suggestion. I have my own ideas, but this post will go on too long if I start thinking through that right now!

Sending your ds tons of good wishes for high school next year!

polarbear