Originally Posted by ABQMom
Dee Dee - the high school is considering half day academics had day mentorship at a tech startup or working on his own company. They want to wait until fall to see how the summer goes.

I am hoping the behavioral psychologist can help with the behaviors, but my biggest worry is how to teach someone that something is considered rude when he thinks he is being helpful.

Does the behavioral psych acknowledge that this is a major problem with perspective-taking skills? DS doesn't know he's being rude because he's only seeing things from his own perspective, not that of the teacher or other people.

It is a learnable skill-- BP could work on it if BP has that expertise. Or you could seek a really skilled SLP. My DS gets advanced perspective-taking training from an SLP through our school.

Originally Posted by ABQMom
He needs all these experiences, as awful as they are, to begin building reference points of what people get upset about.

I agree. It would be more ideal if you could get him into a situation where he would receive both direct instruction and sympathetic coaching (a teacher who'll say "look at it from my perspective" as a reminder, for instance, instead of flipping out).

It is also possible to write into a behavior intervention plan (addendum to IEP) that when he offends a teacher, here are the steps they must follow to prevent a problem. That can include that kind of coaching. If it's in the BIP it's mandatory...