geofizz and mon, thank you. Perspective is good.

Today's meeting was certainly better than the one from three years ago when they suggested the main problem was in DD's ability to manage the frustration of not being able to express the ideas she was able to think, which was going to be accommodated by giving her frequent breaks. Probably by carrying dictionaries to the psych's office. Apparently the psych has a stack of dictionaries she distributes to teachers for this purpose and often has a stack of six on her desk by the end of the day. The concept of helping her learn to express these ideas was something they "had neither the resources nor the responsibility to do."

Another vote for an SLP - I need to find out how to get one privately, I don't think going through the school will be worth the hassle for us. It's very good to know that the person looking at DD is working for us and no one else. When we find one, we should probably have DD7 evaluated too. She's in speech at school but it isn't helping much, and she forms her sentences very oddly. Lots of them, but odd. Expressing ideas is, shall we say, not a problem... I doubt they have many challenges in common. I have two children and they are DIFFERENT.

The counselor looked so pitying when she explained that with CC everything is about writing. I realized later the look may have meant "I know you think your kid is good at math, but they just changed the definition of good at math to include paragraph writing and she isn't anymore. I'm sorry."