ljoy, can you tell us a little bit more about her challenges in school, specifically her writing and/or reading challenges? The reason I ask is that my DS14 also performed extremely *extremely* poorly on the TOWL when he was evaluated by his school, as well as having a significant discrepancy between VIQ/PRI and PSI on the WISC, and lower scores on WJ-III frequency tests. The reason for the low scores on the WISC and WJ-III were primarily due to handwriting *speed* but the lower TOWL scores reflected (for my ds) a significant difficulty with expressive language when using written expression. If that's what's going on with your dd, I'd recommend an evaluation by a Speech Language Pathologist (which you could request from the school as part of an IEP eligibility review). I'd also request the IEP - as DeeDee mentioned, IEPs are "individual" education plans, and that one period study hall you've mentioned is used, in our school district, for the students who need help with organization (keeping track of assignments, making sure they have are on target with their homework etc). The goals and action plan to work toward goals on each student's IEP is put together by the IEP team, which includes parents. If anything, I would think it's at least worth going through the eligibility process for your dd and then rejecting the IEP if you think it's just not a good idea.

In the meantime, I'd also recommend more private testing - for the speech eval. My ds' speech eval did not have #s low enough to qualify for speech services through the school district, but did show a significant discrepancy in subtests, very similar to the WISC in range. He was given a diagnosis of dysgraphia + expressive language disorder by his SLP, and he's worked with the same private SLP now for several years, and for him - it was *the* single most important educational "help" that he's had.

Struggling with written expression can be extremely tough not only because of the increasing demands on students as they move up in school, but because of the toll it can take on self-confidence, particularly for intellectually gifted students who can't show the world the full extent of their knowledge. So my last suggestion is - don't just focus on the 504 and AT and testing scores, be sure that you look closely and try to determine what the hang-ups in the writing process (or reading) are for your dd.

Best wishes,

polarbear