Okay, so we're going to have conference. Looks like it will be with DS's reading teachers (the teachers rotate groups) and principal. The dir of specEd was cc'ed also, not sure why or if she will attend.

So I am going to approach it as we discussed, i.e., that this is a problem b/c DS is not making appropriate progress. I am sure that they will argue he is making progress even though he didn't pass the test. They will say he improved in fluency and his summaries are good, he just didn't pass the test. Any ideas how to counter this? Also, I think I would like him re-tested to make sure he wasn't just having a bad day (when he told me what his teacher said that he e missed on the test, he commented that he may have accidently skipped a page when he was reading (you know two pages get stuck together or something). He may just have been having a bad day. (Allergies are bad and he's all drugged up, etc. it's a bad time of year.) Can he be re-tested (obviously with a different text)? Should I ask that they re-test him prior to the conference so that we are sure we are talking about lack of progress? Or, should I wait to discuss that at the conference? Any ideas would be so appreciated.

If he should be ending the year at level 38 (presupposing appropriate growth and progress), I want to try and get him there. Obviously, it's not the end of the world, but he gets so demoralized by this stuff and he gets resentful that his level does not correspond with his work and effort. So, if it's just them being jerks about the above-grade level - I would like to get around that if I can and have him at his appropriate level. Also if he doesn't get recognized at the appropriate level then he doesn't get taught at the appropriate level and that is disastrous b/c he is bored and irritated, etc. On the other hand, if he really isn't learning the skills or doesn't have the skills he should be gaining at this level, I want that addressed. (and maybe tested again at the end of the year after some remediation).

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Irena; 05/15/14 08:27 AM.