Well-- I'm going to save Jon the trouble here and point out that such a notion deprives others of that valuable sense of deep, though non-abiding self-worth that only comes with WINNING.

Ergo, someone needs to be wrong, so that someone else can be righter than the rest.

Oh, and for anyone curious, DD14 is a eye-watering mixture of all three types, with heaviest emphasis on the right and center columns (gifted and creative)... and I completely agree with MoN's post on the preceding page-- there does seem, for many of us here, to be a point at which "least worst" looks rather unthinkable to outsiders who don't know our children personally (or can't see them for their biases, in the case of educators).

Heck, my child's own grandmother was an educator like that. She truly felt that if we'd just quit treating DD like she was unusual, she'd be more "typical." And that we HAD to by lying and, I guess, teaching DD phonics on the sly as a baby... or something. Because CLEARLY she didn't really believe that DD2 had every single sign of reading "readiness" that my Mom looked for in 6-7yo first graders. She expressed in no uncertain terms that we should keep her from learning to read. Truly not kidding. What is more astonishing is that we listened for nearly two more years.

I can definitely see some of the harm that such things have done to my DD, who will now struggle with task-avoidance and perfectionism her entire life. She hasn't learned that WORKING to learn is normative, because for her-- it isn't.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.