I ask in all seriousness.

When I was a schoolboy in England one just needed to demonstrate mastery via O/A-levels and beyond that nothing else really mattered.

Over here, I am confused because it appears as though one must simply mark time in high school and that is about it. There doesn't seem to be any other yardstick other than having so many years of high school Maths,English etc to be able to 'graduate' from high school. And without that high school 'diploma' one is just about SOL when applying to go to university in the US.

From where I stand, it seems as though one could have stellar SAT/ACT/AP subject scores and still be spurned by any college here without a high school 'diploma'.

I ask because (and maybe I am the stupid one here) my DD is currently absorbing Maths like a sponge and I want her to a) proceed because she likes it b) keep her in her ZPD so we 'after school' Maths.

However, if she has finished AP level maths by the end of the sophomore year does that mean she will not be able to 'graduate' high school because she will not have the required years of high school Maths and therefore not meet matriculation requirements for colleges here?

I had been thinking that with Maths (up to Calculus BC) under her belt she would be free to delve more deeply into other interests if she still had high school years to go before university because CC's here are not great.

Am I wrong to after school Maths after all?

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/06/14 06:23 PM.

Become what you are