Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
As I said, just my opinion. [...]
I'll be vilified there too.
I didn't vilify you.

There seems to be a use of "just my opinion" to imply "you are not allowed to argue". That might, I suppose, be a useful usage when attached to something that is a matter of taste "just my opinion, but this soup needs a touch more salt"; this could be heard as leaving open the possibility that someone else's taste might differ and theirs might be just as valid as yours; it's a qualia issue!

Children's education is not a qualia issue. On a forum where it is a central topic, if you make a statement applying to other people's children and others disagree with the statement, they're going to say so, even if you preface your statement with "just my opinion". If you don't like that, you should certainly go elsewhere.

A good thing about this forum is that boasting isn't a thing, and I hope you won't read this as boasting: it is unlikely that your "smart kids I know" include even one child as mathematically exceptional as my son, let alone enough of them for you to have observed a pattern in the consequences of different ways of educating them. Because this place is such a honeypot, the same applies to several parents who may be assumed to be reading what you write. Please be aware that there are variations in parents' experience beyond those you can easily imagine.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail