Thanks everyone for your comments - alarming and reassuring simultaneously LOL

Personally, I see Maths as something to be used not studied for the sake of it so I would fully support my DD dropping Maths once she had demonstrated that she would have no trouble with further Maths at college and devoting more high school time to other subjects potentially requiring the Maths that she had learned up to then, e.g. Physics (obvious), Statistics, Chemistry etc.

I would much rather she did something she found interesting than a stultifying high school Maths class covering material that she already knew.

I posted the first post in this thread to try to see if it would be possible. I have learned:-

a) it would be potentially possible to graduate without 'token years' of high school Maths.

b) paranoia will be the only thing keeping me sane, I must stay on top of local/state requirement and that obsessive collection of documents and transcripts from online courses is essential.

c) some here think that *not* doing maths for the sake of it (taking a break from pure maths) is a bad thing - I am not convinced.

d) many quality universities do not require a high school diploma

e) eligibility for state aid with tuition may be compromised if a high school diploma or equivalent is not obtained.

Thanks again all!

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/07/14 05:42 PM.

Become what you are