Originally Posted by Loy58
DD8 is about to have a WASI, performed by the school psychologist, as a final step for her school's gifted program. She is a very extroverted and verbal kid, who might have a tendency towards being rather chatty (perhaps even off-topic ;)). She did well on the CogAT (99% V, 97% N, 92% Q; 99% Composite). Her MAP tests are >99% Reading, 99% Math. She has never taken an IQ test before, but needs >130 to get into the program.

Loy, try to remember that this is just one more test, one more day. She'll most likely do fine! And if not, you'll move forward and figure out what to do next.. whatever direction that may be.

Any advice on what, if anything, to tell her before she goes into testing? What do you tell your children about what they are going to be doing?

For us, it depended on the context of the test. When my kids were young, and going for full neuropsych testing or reading/educational type evals, I told them it was a series of questions to learn more about how they learn, and that is would most likely be fun (and it was). When they've been tested at school for either state testing or gifted program etc, I've told them to do their best and also reminded them that it mattered that they answer the questions and didn't rush through the testing etc. I told them that the scores mattered, but I didn't tell them that getting into a program etc hinged on their scores.

Also, gosh - I'm trying to take a deep breath here - I am so worried about her just having an off day. She has been such a trooper through all of this testing so far. Does anyone have any children with similar scores who had good results on a Wechsler-type test? It sounds like it is hard to really predict how she will do on this one test

We don't have similar CogAT scores (our EG ds is one of the kids who had much lower scores on the CogAT than he does on other tests including the WISC). What I'd keep in mind is that she does have high scores on her CogAT and chances are she will also have high scores on this test. If she doesn't, you'll try to figure out why. If the scores do come out lower, you can always opt to have private IQ/achievement testing (although you can't take the same IQ test within the same year). I'd try to worry less about the actual number and test result and just focus on what you see your child needing in school, and advocate toward that however you need to. I know quite a few parents in our local area who've had children come up with one or more required test scores lower than needed yet still actively advocated to get their children placed in gifted programs. Having a teacher advocate for your child's placement helps tremendously here. BUT- don't worry about that until you need to! Let this next test happen and see what her scores are.

and I do feel as though she needs the extra challenge of the program.

I'll just put this out there, although I don't think it's what's going to happen with your dd and with a big caveat that I don't know anything about the program you're trying to get her into (ie, is it focused on high achievers or out-of-the-box gifted thinkers or both or something else) - she might very well be ready and up for the challenge of the program and still not have a 130 IQ. If you find that happens, don't just give up - advocate to get her the challenge she needs smile And remember that every test she takes is just one more data point smile

polarbear