DS's Weschler score back when he was 3 was 106 and it went up to 133 for his GAI on the WISC 2.5 years later. So did he get more intelligent? Was it because he was so silly and uncooperative the first time? The lack of rapport? I mean, obviously one of the tests is incorrect. A lot of people would have taken that score of 106 and assumed that it was an accurate test and shows his innate ability that is never going to change. The psych who tested him when he was 3 didn't even write in the report how silly he was, or how he refused to answer questions after a while. She just acted like it was a valid score. When we ended the test with DS she told me to bring him back and she'd try again. I thought about it and decided DS would likely act the same way. So I called her up and said that unless she has serious concerns about his intellectual functioning, I think testing should be discontinued. She then said that she scored his test (even though he never finished it!) and said that he was clearly fine. She actually wrote up the scores in an official report and mailed the report to me. i was shocked when I got it because he never finished the test.
The school wanted those psych records to add to his IEP and I'm glad I never handed them over! That's one reason I wanted DD to be privately tested this time after bombing the CogAT--I really had no idea what to expect. Would she be anxious, shy, hyper and therefore we wouldn't get an accurate result? If she was tested by the school psych (who clearly did not want to give her the WISC), would she have pushed DD to give more detailed answers? Would she have told her to please hurry up when she was so slow? The whole thing made me nervous. I think a lot depends on the person who gives the test AND the child's attitude and effort.