Originally Posted by cym
The socialization of homeschooling isn't as concerning to me as having a dialogue with such a limited number of folks (e.g. a tired mom, a whiny brother, etc.). Instead of socialization, my concern would be peer group (same as my concern in normal school setting).

Of course, in most schools, kids don't get to talk much to their peers during class. At least at the grade school and jr. high levels, the in-class interaction with peers is usually quite limited. Social time--20 minutes of recess and 30 at lunch--is about the only time the kids have to talk to anyone.

I'd bet money that DS7 gets a lot more time to interact with true peers in a learning environment than he got in public school. Granted, I make the effort to seek those opportunities out, but so do most homeschoolers, Christian or not. At least in the traditional school classes DS7 has been in, the kids talk to the teacher when called on (a few times a day), but they don't talk with one another much during class time. Or if they do, they get in trouble for it.

I'd suggest that the museum visit is usually a special occasion. Most classrooms aren't anywhere nearly as free-and-easy as that setting. Whereas for the homeschooler, museum visits and the like with groups of kids can be the norm.

Just my take...

Kriston